Thursday, July 7, 2011

I've Been Loving You Too Long

I have been wanting to start a blog for months now, and today I had an epiphany! For the longest time I couldn't figure out what I wanted to blog about. I kept thinking to myself, "What was something that I loved and wanted to share with others?" I also wanted this blog to benefit me in some way whether it be emotionally, intellectually, etc. I'm not a big fan of openly displaying my emotions especially via social media, so this is not going to be one of those pour-my-heart-out-super-emo-bear-my-soul type blogs.

My realization came when I was scrolling down my Facebook mini-feed this morning. I came across this YouTube video of a homeless man singing a song. I've never heard this song before but after hearing it, I discovered something new to love. Today I realized that what I would consider one of the greatest feelings in the world is discovering a new love. With music, the possibilities are endless. There will always be new musicians to discover, old artists to remember and infinite ways to find new loves.

Allow me to introduce my new love- Otis Redding.

Our song (the one that made me fall in love with him) is "I've Been Loving You Too Long."













I'm not one to go off on profound spiels about the meaning/emotion of music nor am I trying to feign musical expertise but I must say that listening to this song was an experience. Only music like this, the kind that really digs into you, can make you feel emotions that you don't even want to feel- emotions that you've buried or "gotten over." Only music like this can make you feel these emotions and want to feel them because listening to the music makes it all worthwhile.


About Otis:

Otis Ray Redding, Jr. was born in 1941. He was a soul singer and often referred to as the "King of Soul." According to the website of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, his name is "synonymous with the term soul, music that arose out of the black experience in America through the transmutation of gospel and rhythm and blues into a form of funky, secular testifying." He died in 1967 at the age of 26 in a plane crash.


This old school soul song gave me the epiphany to dedicate my blog to music. Every time I find a new cover/song/artist or rediscover an old one that I love I feel the urge to share it. I've been doing that through Facebook the past few years but now I'm taking it to the next level.

"Music is an outburst of the soul." ~Frederick Delius


No comments:

Post a Comment