Sunday, August 7, 2011

Let Me Take You There


When my sister gave me her old IPod, I purposely left all of her old songs on there so that I would have another way to discover new music without actually having to search for it. I'm so glad I did this because I found a new song that I've never heard before although it has been around since 2007. I've been wanting to post about this song forever but haven't had the time. My new love is "Let Me Take You There" by Plain White Tee's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuPSv3A8jdQ

I actually have not kept up with this band since they blew up but I do enjoy their music whenever it comes on. "Let Me Take You There" is the first song of theirs that I've felt the urge to play on repeat (AND I DID). I think it is because the sound of it is reminiscent of a time in my life that is over but had given me beautiful memories. When I listen to this song, I feel almost nostalgic but not in the weepy, depressed way. Listening to this song makes me appreciate those memories despite the dark aspects of the time. These memories I speak of can best be described by a quote from The Notebook (yes it is my favorite movie and no I am not ashamed to admit that).

"Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons. But when all is said and done, they have one thing in common: They are shooting stars- a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity. And in a flash, they're gone."

This era of my life was dominated by songs like Ocean Avenue, Swing Swing, Just the Girl, Incomplete. For me, these boy bands really captured what it meant to be a teenager in love during this time.

On another note, I've decided to learn to play guitar with the help of my friend Andrew. Our first time hanging out he decides to give me a free guitar lesson on a ukulele! How luckkyyy for meee. When he asked me for a song, I still had this one up on Youtube and so he found the chords for this song and showed me how to place my fingers to play the chord. I'm still not even close to pro yet but he has agreed to continue these free lessons and even let me borrow his ukulele!
Hopefully after a few more posts I will be able to play this song on guitar.



No comments:

Post a Comment